The National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association (NLGJA) is seeking an administrative assistant.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for administration of day-to-day tasks, basic accounting duties and coordinating membership initiatives. The Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Executive Director and works in tandem with fellow NLGJA staff.
NLGJA is a nonprofit organization that works from within the journalism industry to foster fair and accurate coverage of the lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender community. NLGJA opposes all workplace bias and provides professional development for its members. The members of NLGJA are reporters, photojournalists, editors, producers, columnists, bloggers, communications professionals and students, as well as friends and allies. Our members work in news organizations across the United States and in all formats.
This position requires the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing, excellent interpersonal skills, a strong attention to detail, excellent organizational and time management skills and a professional image.
- Oversee day-to-day office operations, including opening mail, accepting deliveries, preparing office supply orders, and organizing mailings and shipments.
- Perform general office duties, including proofreading, photocopying, emailing, faxing, scanning and screening emails and telephone calls.
- Responsible for accounting administrative functions, including making bank deposits, entering transactions into database and financial software, reviewing and coding invoices, overseeing accounts receivable, processing check requests and cash receipts.
- Coordinate membership recruitment and retention strategies, including reaching out to potential and lapsed members, processing payments, updating member profiles in the database, responding to phone and email inquiries and providing general member support.
- Maintain the database with member contact information and payment information.
- Maintain and update related web pages and set up select newsletters.
- Provide prompt, accurate responses to member inquiries related to the association’s products and services, convention registration and membership status.
- Coordinate the timely completion of state registrations with an outside contractor.
- Respond to requests from association chapters.
- Maintain the online job board.
- Coordinate NLGJA Mentoring Program.
- Coordinate volunteers and volunteer efforts.
- Coordinate the scholarship and awards programs, including serving as the staff liaison to committees, promoting opportunities to membership, compiling submissions and creating any relevant certificates, plaques and communication tools.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, are critical
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Enjoy interacting with and serving interesting and dynamic members
- Enjoy creating relationships with members and prospects via phone and in person
- Evidence of the ability to prioritize efficiently, coordinate with volunteers and develop creative solutions is expected
- Previous nonprofit or association-related experience is a plus
- Willingness to travel; mandatory travel for convention and board meetings
- Computer skills including MS Office. Experience using association databases and basic knowledge of HTML is a plus
- Knowledge of the news industry, journalism and AP style is a plus
For consideration, please email a cover letter with salary requirements, resume and three professional references to email@example.com. We are an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls.