The Insider Fellowship Program
Applications for the Fall 2022 Insider Fellowship will open in mid 2022. Interested candidates must submit their application by noon ET on November 15.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to Insider’s audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers.
Applications should consist of a single PDF containing your resume/CV and cover letter, and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Insider Fellowship Application.” Please also include links to five pieces of work in your cover letter and explain your interest in working with Insider and NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists. Please also explain the type of beat or coverage area that you’re most passionate about and Insider will do it’s best to connect you with a fellowship in that area. Applications will be reviewed and interviewed by a committee from NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists and Insider. The fellowship is only available to people based in the United States.
The fellow will be paid $20/hour. The fellow will work 40 hours a week that includes a paid 30-minute lunch break. The NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists Insider Fellow will receive an additional stipend of $1000 per month paid by Insider. Insider will also cover costs for the fellow’s attendance to the annual NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists National Convention in September and will have membership expenses covered for a year.
The fellow will:
- Spend their time doing meaningful work reporting, writing, editing, and storytelling for Insider’s audience of millions.
- Become an expert in one of our dozens of beats by learning how to aggregate news responsibly, do original reporting, and build sources.
- Have the opportunity to take part in our internal training program which features regular sessions and panels on topics such as SEO, source-building, and how to talk with PR representatives.
- Attend career development and DEI events put on by our Employee Experience team.
And by the end of the fellowship, the fellow will:
- Have dozens of bylines or completed projects to add to their portfolio, depending on their specific fellowship
- Have had meetings with members of both organizations
- Obtain a sizeable network of Insider and NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists employees
- Have an extensive list of sources/contacts that are diverse and inclusive of LGBTQ voices
- Have enough experience to potentially convert to a full-time role at Insider, depending on availability, work quality, and the ability to reach their goals. If a role at Insider is not available, they should feel ready to apply to other full-time positions in media.
- Have a clearer understanding of their preferred beat
- Leave their fellowship with improved writing, reporting, researching, and overall journalistic skills
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.