NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists is a national organization with over 20 local, regional and scholastic chapters throughout the United States. NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists relies on the hard work of dedicated volunteers who fill leadership positions at both the national and chapter level in order to advance and promote our mission of ensuring fair and accurate coverage of LGBTQ+ issues and people in media.
NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists Board & Executive Committee
Nominations for the following NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists Board & Executive Committee leadership positions are now being accepted:
- Vice President of Broadcast
- At-Large Director (4)
More information on requirements, terms and processes can be found below. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Executive Committee members may serve two consecutive terms in each office and at-large national board directors may serve three consecutive terms. All national board of director terms are for two years.
All nominees must be members in good standing for at least one year by the time of the election. Those seeking an Executive Committee seat must also have served as an at-large board of directors member or chapter president for at least one year as of the election. Eligible members may nominate themselves.
No more than two board members may be elected from any one chapter.
All candidates must fill out their own nomination form. Candidates must provide a comprehensive 200-word biography and platform to be included in your nomination form. This will be distributed to the members by NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists during the elections process.
In the event of a contested election, online voting for the NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists National Board of Directors will be made available to members in good standing from August 10-24, 2023. According to NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists bylaws, board elections are advisory, but, to date, the board has never failed to follow the election results.
Election results will be ratified by the Board of Directors at the Fall board meeting, typically held during the 2023 National Convention. Nominees are encouraged to attend.
Please Note – All Board Members are required to:
– Attend and participate in board meetings: Board Members must attend at least one of the two in person meetings (mid-year, convention) and at least one of the twice-annual board calls.
– Maintain current membership in the organization.
– Participate actively in committee/task force work.
– Raise or give at least $1,500 for the organization each year.
– Board members will need to be available to staff.
– Be active in their local chapter.
Campaign guidelines for those running for executive committee or board member positions:
– Any campaigning and electioneering online, including social media and email communications, must come from a personal account. Candidates may not use any NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists-sanctioned national or chapter accounts, emails addresses, logos or other branding to promote their candidacy.
– NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists will distribute a listing of candidates and platforms/bios to current members. NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists will not provide membership lists to any candidate for campaign purposes.
– Candidates may reach out to members directly through other means at their discretion, but should act responsibly and be respectful of voting members.
– While campaigning, candidates should urge all members in good standing to vote, and encourage lapsed members to renew their membership and vote.