NLGJA Seeks Nominations for National Board and Chapter Leadership Positions
NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists is a national organization with over 20 local, regional and scholastic chapters throughout the United States. NLGJA relies on the hard work of dedicated volunteers who fill leadership positions at both the national and chapter level in order to advance and promote our mission of ensuring fair and accurate coverage of LGBTQ issues and people in media.
NLGJA Board & Executive Committee
The deadline to submit a nomination is July 26.
There are vacancies in three Executive Committee and four at-large Board of Director positions:
- VP of Broadcast
- Directors at Large (4)
Executive Committee members may serve two consecutive terms in each office, and at-large National Board Members may serve three consecutive terms. All National Board of Director terms are two years.
All nominees must be members in good standing for at least one year by the time of the election. Those seeking an Executive Committee seat must also have served as an at-large Board of Directors member or Chapter President for at least one year as of the election. Eligible members may nominate themselves.
No more than two Board Members may be elected from any one chapter.
In the event of a contested election, online voting for NLGJA’s National Board of Directors will be made available to members in good standing until 5:00pm, Monday, August 15, 2019. According to NLGJA bylaws, board elections are advisory but, to date, the board has never failed to follow the election results.
Election results will ratified by the Board of Directors at the 2019 National Convention.
Please Note – All Board Members are required to:
- Attend and participate in board meetings: Board Members must attend at least one of the two in person meetings (mid-year, convention) and at least one of the twice-annual board calls.
- Maintain current membership in the organization.
- Participate actively in committee/task force work.
- Raise or give at least $1,500 for the organization each year.
- Board members will need to be available to staff.
- Be active in their local chapter.
Campaign guidelines for those running for executive committee or board member positions:
- Any campaigning and electioneering online, including social media and email communications, must come from a personal account. Candidates may not use any NLGJA-sanctioned national or chapter accounts, emails addresses, logos or other branding to promote their candidacy.
- NLGJA will distribute a listing of candidates and platforms/bios to current members. NLGJA will not provide membership lists to any candidate for campaign purposes.
- Candidates may reach out to members directly through other means at their discretion, but should act responsibly and be respectful of voting members.
- While campaigning, candidates should urge all members in good standing to vote, and encourage lapsed members to renew their membership and vote.
Nominations for chapter leadership will be available at a later date.
Nominees for NLGJA local offices – both new candidates and those planning to run for re-election – shall be required to submit this application detailing, among other things, their journalism and media experience, current employment status and a statement explaining why they are seeking office. The NLGJA Elections Chair, and national staff shall use the information to confirm the nominee’s membership status and eligibility for office. Upon request, non-confidential information in the application shall be made available to the voting membership.
In the event of a contested election, online voting for Chapter Leadership will be made available to members in good standing. According to NLGJA bylaws, board elections are advisory but, to date, the board has never failed to follow the election results.
All Chapter Board Members are expected to:
- Attend and participate in chapter board meetings
- Maintain current membership in the organization
- Be responsive to chapter members, NLGJA national leadership and NLGJA staff