Excellence in Journalism Awards
The deadline to apply for NLGJA’s 2019 Excellence in Journalism Awards has now passed. Check back for information about NLGJA’s 2020 Excellence in Journalism Awards program in Winter 2019.
The NLGJA Excellence in Journalism Awards were established in 1993 to foster and recognize excellence in journalism on issues related to the LGBTQ community. Work may be submitted for the 2019 NLGJA Excellence in Journalism Awards in the following categories.
Special Recognition Awards:
- Excellence in Book Writing
- Excellence in Feature Writing
- Excellence in Feature Writing, Non-Daily
- Excellence in Food Writing
- Excellence in Long Form Journalism
- Excellence in Newswriting
- Excellence in Newswriting, Non-Daily
- Excellence in Photojournalism
- Excellence in Profile Writing
- Excellence in Sports Writing
- Excellence in Student Journalism*
- Excellence in Travel Writing
- Excellence in Blogging*
- Excellence in Digital Video
- Excellence in Multimedia
- Excellence in Online Journalism
- Excellence in Documentary
- Excellence in Local Television
- Excellence in Network Television
- Excellence in Podcasts
- Excellence in Radio
- Excellence in Bisexual Coverage
- Excellence in Business Coverage
- Excellence in Education Coverage
- Excellence in Health or Fitness Coverage
- Excellence in HIV/AIDS Coverage
- Excellence in International Coverage
- Excellence in Legal Coverage
- Excellence in Political Coverage
- Excellence in QPOC Coverage
- Excellence in Religion Coverage
- Excellence in Transgender Coverage
Special Opportunity Awards:
- The Al Neuharth Award for Innovation in Investigative Journalism**
Prize: Cash prize to be awarded to the person or team who best uses innovative approaches for investigative reporting.
*NLGJA members in this category can enter for zero cost, non-members to pay a $15 entry fee. There is no late processing fee.
**NLGJA membership required for entry. Theres is no cost for entries. There is no late processing fee.
The 2019 Excellence in Journalism Awards will be presented throughout the NLGJA National Convention August 29 – September 1 at the InterContinental New Orleans.
Entry Fees and Payment
- $25 per entry for current NLGJA members.
- $40 per entry for non-members. Join today to receive the special member rates.
- Applicants may submit as many entries as they wish in one or more categories, but each must be accompanied by a separate entry fee.
- No refunds will be issued.
- Entries submitted after the application deadline may include an additional $40 processing fee.
General Rules & Requirements
- The awards recognize work produced in 2018. Initial publication/broadcast must have occurred between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
- The deadline for entries has passed.
- NLGJA national officers and directors and those individuals directly involved in the administration and/or selection of the awards are ineligible.
- Contestants may enter as many categories as desired, and may submit as many entries per category as desired. Each entry requires a separate entry fee.
- Entries must be accompanied by the correct entry fee. Entries will not be processed and submitted to the judges until payment is received. There is no entry fee for student members entering the student journalism category and a reduced rate of $15 for all other students.
- Each entry may carry up to five (5) individuals’ names, except in the NLGJA Journalist of the Year Award category and the Sarah Pettit Memorial Award for LGBTQ Journalist of the Year category. These categories recognize the accomplishments of an individual journalist.
- Please ensure that the name of each entrant is spelled correctly as they should appear on certificates, press releases, etc.
- Entries for each category must be submitted electronically. Exceptions may be made based on individual circumstances, please contact email@example.com for details. Print/online work may be submitted as a URL or as a PDF document. Broadcast categories may be submitted as a URL or uploaded file.
- If exceptions are made, all materials for the application submitted by mail require five (5) copies. Please label each copy with your name, phone number and e-mail address and form reference number.
- Entries may be accompanied by a cover letter of no more than 250 words explaining the context, journalistic merit or impact of the submission. Please submit electronically through the application.
- Judges have the right to disqualify entries that do not conform to the contest guidelines or that do not meet the deadline. Entrants will not be notified of such disqualification nor will entry fees be refunded.
- Judges have the right to transfer entries from one category to another based on their reading of the contest guidelines. Entrants will not be notified of such a transfer prior to the announcement of awards.
- Judges have the right to withhold an award if they determine that no entries merit recognition.
- Entries and accompanying materials submitted electronically or by mail will not be returned.
Judging of Entries
A diverse committee of journalism professionals will select winners. The decision of the judges is final.