Founded in 1990, National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association (NLGJA) is an organization of journalists, media professionals, educators and students working from within the news industry to foster fair and accurate coverage of LGBT issues. NLGJA has been a beacon for LGBT journalists through its education, networking and training programs – most especially its national convention, the largest gathering of its kind. NLGJA opposes all forms of workplace bias and provides professional development to its members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Communications Coordinator in developing and executing a communications strategy to highlight NLGJA’s 25th Anniversary in 2015.
- Actively monitor and assist in producing content for NLGJA social media channels.
- Coordinate an outreach effort to contact NLGJA founding members and key stakeholders to assemble a milestone perspective of NLGJA’s first 25 years.
- Raising college junior or senior seeking a degree in Marketing, Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, English or related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent oral and written skills, ability to edit/proofread using Associated Press guidelines a plus.
- Must be comfortable making phone calls.
- Must work well in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be detail oriented and able to manage multiple projects.
- Must function well under pressure and be a creative problem solver.
- General interest in additional aspects of Marketing and Communication a plus.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of LGBT issues.
- Non-profit, Journalism or Public Relations experience preferred.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position.
This position performs the majority of their work at NLGJA national office, which is a shared space with other organizations. The atmosphere is business casual and friendly. Some local travel may be optional for offsite meetings, but is not a requirement. This position requires the ability to operate standard business office equipment, including exchanging information, collecting, compiling and preparing work documents and organizing and maintaining work files. This position reports directly to the Communications & Program Coordinator or their designee.
Compensation: Unpaid Internship
Hours: Minimum of 16 hours, but 32 hours per week preferred. Flexible schedule.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NLGJA follows an equal opportunity employment policy, and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, physical or mental handicap, veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, physical characteristics and marital status.