Founded in 1990, National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association (NLGJA) is an organization of journalists, media professionals, educators and students working from within the news industry to foster fair and accurate coverage of LGBT issues. NLGJA has been a beacon for LGBT journalists through its education, networking and training programs – most especially its national convention, the largest gathering of its kind. NLGJA opposes all forms of workplace bias and provides professional development to its members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Communications Coordinator in developing and executing a communications strategy for the organization’s social media platforms and website.
- Actively monitor daily social media engagements with other organizations/accounts.
- Conduct online outreach to members/professionals in LGBT Media and Journalism.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position. Other tasks may be assigned/delegated due to experience/performance.
- Degree candidate in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English or related field with one or more year(s) collegiate experience.
- Excellent oral and written skills and the ability to edit/proofread with an understanding of Associated Press style.
- Experience with HTML/CSS, WordPress or other CMS preferred.
- Must work well in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be detail oriented and able to manage multiple projects.
- Must function well under pressure and be a creative problem solver.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of LGBT issues.
- Social Media or Public Relations experience preferred.
- Graphic design experience a plus.
The Social Media Intern performs the majority of their work at the NLGJA national office, which is a shared space with other organizations. The atmosphere is business casual and friendly. Some local travel may be optional for off-site meetings, but is not a requirement. This position reports directly to the Communications & Program Coordinator or their designee.
Compensation: Unpaid Internship
Hours: Flexible hours, approximately 15 hours/week.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NLGJA follows an equal opportunity employment policy, and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, physical characteristics and marital status.
Send a resume and cover letter to Communications Coordinator Bach Polakowski at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.